Why Your Marketing Should Annoy Some People

This is an edited version of a section from my book The Time Is Now 11:59.

Persuasion is the core of marketing. It's easy to assume, then, that the job of marketing is to persuade folks to buy your book.

That's half right. The goal is to help folks decide whether or not to buy the book. Even if we help them decide not to buy our marketing has done its job.

What Madness Is This?

… more … "Why Your Marketing Should Annoy Some People"

Books are 99% Commodity — Sell the Other 1%

There are more books than you could read in a hundred years, even if that's all you ever did. In a way, books are a commodity.

The firehose-stream of new books, both independent and traditionally published, makes individual books even harder to distinguish. Your only hope of being found is to focus relentlessly on the 1% which makes your book unique.

I'm not suggesting that you find a way to convince people that your book is unlike anything which has ever come before. If you've written about coaching or accounting or networking or marketing, your book will share concepts and content with oodles of existing books on the topic.

… more … "Books are 99% Commodity — Sell the Other 1%"

10 Facebook Marketing Tips to Sell Your Book

Judy Cullins, Nonfiction Book Writing, Self Publishing, & Marketing Coach, graciously allowed us to reprint her article here. Judy offers a free 35 page ebook, "10 Essential Steps to Writing a Book your Ideal Audience will Love" when you sign up for her FREE How to Articles About Book Writing, Self Publishing, and Marketing. Sign up here: http://bookcoaching.com/subscribe/

10 Facebook Marketing Tips to Sell Your Book
Are you stuck on where to share the good news about your book? Maybe you think Social Media is a waste of time? And, you may be kicking and screaming about the social media learning curve. I did that too, when social media was in its youth. From the time I joined Twitter over years ago, then moved to Facebook with book coaching tips on my FB page, then to LinkedIn with my book group, I’ve learned the ways to bigger book sales. I’d say all three work for book marketing, but you may need to change your approach with Facebook.

… more … "10 Facebook Marketing Tips to Sell Your Book"

Case Study: One Year on Social Media with George Troy

George Troy contacted me after he finished writing his book, The Five Laws of Retail. He said, "I want to build my social media presence and begin blogging. I am overwhelmed and need help."

This past year George Troy's followers on Twitter increased 1,234%, on Facebook 178%, on Instagram 242%, and on LinkedIn 237%!

How Did We Do It?

We put together a plan to make sure his blog was updated regularly, establish a solid social media presence, and expand his online network. Together we created goals and discussed and adjusted these monthly as needed. Within just a few months we saw substantial increase in his followers on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Here's what George had to say:

Sue and her team have made invaluable daily contributions to my work. I worked in business for decades and  recently completed a book on the subject, The Five Laws of Retail. I quickly learned that building a social media platform to support the book was a full time job and needed a professional. We created targets  for each channel for each month, measure against them and ultimately met and exceeded each goal. I can’t imagine achieving my goals without her help and support.

George's editor, Candace Johnson, assists him in updating his book proposal and makes sure we get updated book promotion information included. Candace recently wrote a guest post for us about what social media information publishers are looking for in a book proposal. "Publishers want to see that your audience is growing. You might have recently begun blogging and don’t yet have impressive numbers to report, so show them the rates of growth over a period of time."

We've been working together with George for over a year now. He just updated his book proposal again and this time we included the percentage of increase for each network over the past year as noted above.

Case Study: George Troy
Example of image we created for us on George's social media networks.

Your Social Media: What to Include in Your Book Proposal

Today we're delighted to share a guest post from editor, proofreader, writer, and writing coach Candace Johnson.

You have a unique idea for a nonfiction book, and you’re writing a compelling proposal that you’re certain will knock the socks off an agent and then a publisher. And then you get to the part where you illustrate author platform, including your social media footprint.

Your Platform as a Nonfiction Author

If you’re confused about what you should include in your proposal to illustrate your platform, you’re not alone.

… more … "Your Social Media: What to Include in Your Book Proposal"