Hubspot’s research on social media usage patterns reveals that people generally use Instagram for bonding.
What does that mean in an author’s marketing environment?
Instagram users post images and videos that reflect how they see themselves, and who they want to be. It’s emotional content, warm and fuzzy, often humorous, designed to make them closer to their friends, family, and other followers.
They follow others not only to bond but to discover new trends.
What to Do
- Create visual content that reflects your personality as an author
- Ensure that your posts are emotion-based
- Use appropriate humor
- Respond to your followers’ posts with likes and the occasional comment
What NOT to Do
- Don’t get deeply informational
- Don’t be unnecessarily negative; keep it warm and fuzzy
- Don’t pitch, push, or sell; this is not the place