- Interview Technology
- Audio Interviews
- Video Interviews
- Skype Interview Tips (Good for Zoom too)
- Author Interview Questions – Be Prepared to Answer
Since more and more media outlets are using Skype for conducting interviews, here are a few tips to help you look and sound good when sharing your message.
- Set up Skype in advance. If you don’t yet have a Skype account, set one up now on your computer. Practice using it with a friend in advance so you know how it works and can feel confident during your interview. Your Skype username and profile photo will be the first thing your interviewer sees when connecting with you. Be sure it’s professional. If you already have a Skype account you use for family and friends, create a separate professional account for interviews.
- Avoid distractions and interruptions. Turn your phone off to avoid distracting notifications. Close any programs you have running on your computer. The night before, and then an hour or so in advance, restart your computer to be sure it’s running at its best and not going through an update that could slow things down or cause distractions. Close the door and make sure everyone knows you are not to be disturbed. Close the windows. No pets in the room. Turn off the AC.
- Sound your best. Your computer microphone is not the best for interviews. If you’re going to do a lot of interviews and want to sound your best, invest in an external microphone. Be sure to select that microphone as your audio source in your Skype settings. Here’s an article about some of the best microphones for Skype.