We’ve discussed that about 80% of your online posts and comments should be generous, giving useful and interesting information, with self-promotion only making up the other 20% or so.
Let’s take that to the next level: engagement content.
What is Engagement Content?
Guess what—the 80/20 principle can help here.
Yes, make 80% of your ‘giving’ posts usable tips, educational content.
The other 20%? Engagement content.
In other words, personal, friendly, sharing, about-you-but-not-self-centered content.
Your day at the beach. A great movie or band you saw or plan to see. A beautiful sunset. A kind act someone did for you.
Because your goal is to be social and get noticed.
Even at a business mixer or a client meeting, don’t you discuss Pat’s new puppy or Sawyer’s trip to wherever? Of course you do. We’re people, and we engage most with people we like.
Give your followers, not just something to learn, but something to like.
Math geek alert: this would make “engagement content” 20% of 80% or about 16% of your overall content. Don’t sweat the precision.